To me, bread pudding is the epitome of comfort food, and it’s simply too good to reserve only for dessert. This sweet and savory twist on the classic is a delicious new way to enjoy an old favorite. —Shauna Havey, Roy, UtahTest Kitchen Approved
BBQ Chicken and Apple Bread Pudding Recipe photo by Taste of Home
- Total Time Prep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min.
- Makes 8 servings
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small green apple, peeled and diced
- Minced chives
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions and bake using a greased and floured 8-in. square baking pan. Cool. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown and caramelized, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over chicken; toss to coat.
- Cube cornbread. Microwave remaining butter, covered, on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk in eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Add caramelized onions. Pour egg mixture over cornbread cubes. Add chicken, cheese and apple. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8-in. square or 1-1/2-quart baking dish; bake until bubbly and top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining barbecue sauce over bread pudding. Sprinkle with chives.
Test Kitchen tips Make-ahead tip! Bake the cornbread ahead of time, or just buy some from your local bakery. You can also use leftover muffins, bread or rolls in place of the cornbread.
1 serving: 465 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.